My son, Ben and I wanted to restore an old
Mustang so he could drive it to high school. We
began to look early in 2010, scouring Craigslist, the
newspaper and other online sources. I even looked
at one in Tucson while on a business trip. We
almost bought that one. Some days I wish we had.
Well we finally bought a 65 Mustang to restore. Initially, it looked like it was in pretty good shape. On the outside the body showed very little rust. Likewise, there was very little rust underneath. The engine looked to be in decent shape, but we knew it was a 302 and not an original 289. The Pony interior was in excellent shape. Unfortunately, the previous owner did not have much in the way of paperwork, which we've come to regret.
|The car sat for a while, since we took a vacation, but when we came back we took it to our local mechanic. That's when we found out the car had some minor mechanical issues, mainly a few leaks in various systems, but nothing too serious. Today we popped out a dent in the passenger side rear using a hair dryer and CO2, and guess what, the bondo that was underneath popped off! We're not sure why there was so much bondo there, the metal looks good|
|Well, we started in earnest. We removed the fenders, bumpers, doors, hood and started on removing the wiring. The wiring was such a mess, we decided to just replace it all. Overall, it looks like the sheet metal has come from different Mustangs over the years. The hood is blue, the trunk is red, one front light bucket is white, and the original color was "Prairie Bronze."|
|Continued on with our removals, including the rear bumper, trunk lid, interior, etc. We continued the rest of the week removing lots of little stuff and started removing components from the engine compartment to make the engine removal a little easier|
|Spent the evening removing the engine. We were surprised. It only took a couple of hours. The rest of the week we worked on removing other components from the engine compartment. Found out that the engine is a 1980's era engine. At least that's what it looks like from the number stamped on the block (it starts with E). So now we're looking for a more original 289 engine|
|Removed the transmission today, and to our surprise the transmission is a Nissan transmission from the early 80s. Time to look for a more original transmission now too. Oh well, live and learn. We're really pleased overall at how easily the Mustang came apart. Next up is stripping it down to bare metal for the painting|
Here's "Jenny" on the trailer off to be soda blasted, primed, and painted. We'll miss her, but she should come back ready to put back together. We also spent the day cleaning the upholstery and vinyl. Overall everything looks like it's in good shape. No major rips or tears. We will need to re dye some of the leather that is showing some age.
Well, "Jenny" has been soda blasted. I had it sent up to Bryant Soda Blasting in Stillwater. I thing they did a great job. There was some rust/damage found after blasting on the right rear quarter and in the engine compartment, but overall the car seems in good shape. Now on to painting. We're going to paint her Caspian Blue with Wimbledon White stripes. It's not original (Prairie Bronze), but it's what Ben wants.